(W3) Do we communicate differently in LinkedIn, Facebook, Blog, and so on?

    It is interesting to find myself naturally changing the tone of voice in different channels. Observing how others communicate in each channel (making a new post, having a reply or reaction), I learn their norms to adapt myself. It is similar to how we adapt to various offline environments to express oneself and perceive others, whether it is a party, a job interview, or a casual neighbor discourse.

    In LinkedIn, my writing sounds formal and professional. The tone of voice is quite similar as the one used in my Canvas discussions: respectful and formal. I rarely use emoji to express emotions. Abbreviations or slangs are also not used frequently. The content in LinkedIn is also profession related, conveying facts, updates, or lessons. In Facebook, I feel more freedom to express feelings through emojis, replies and words. Content also plays around emotions behind, ranging from personal stories to opinions. Even job-related content conveys emotions (pride, disappointment, etc.). 

    What about you? How do you communicate differently in different channels? What drives the differences and adaptations?

Comments

  1. I think we absolutely change voice as we change platform and community. I'm featuring this post in my Tour de Blog in the hopes that others will come over and add their thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I had only thought about this in passing, but you’ve brought it to the forefront of my mind. I definitely tailor my voice to the context, now that I think about it. Like in this comment, I’m aiming for conversational, but on LinkedIn I’d probably go for a lot more formal. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pink,
    I find myself changing the way I express myself depending on which platform I am on. Just like we code-switch from the way we are at home to how we behave in the workplace, I find myself adjusting to fit the norm of where I am. I never consciously thought about this till it was brought up in this post, but different social media do ask for unique ways of participation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

(W3) Community of Practice Frameworks

(W2) Instructional design strategies for digital native learners